Monday, 3 October 2011

Who requires a visa?

Spain is one of the countries belonging to the Schengen area. Transiting from one country to another within the Schengen area is done without border controls. For the purposes of the Schengen (tourist) visa and Schengen border controls, the current Schengen area is composed of the following countries – Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

The Azores and Madeira, as part of Portugal, and the Canary Islands and Balearic Islands, as part of Spain, are included in the Schengen area. Ceuta and Melilla – Spain’s autonomous cities in northern Africa – are a special case: they are part of the Schengen area, but border control is still in force there. France’s overseas possessions, on the other hand, are considered to be outside of the area.

All countries and territories that are members of the Schengen acquis, of the EU or of EFTA. Positive visa list of countries (also known as White Schengen List) from whose citizens no visa is required to enter the territory of the EU member states for a period of maximum 90 days.

Albania*****, Andorra***, Antigua and Barbuda , Argentina, Austria*, Australia (including the Cocos Islands, Norfolk Island, Christmas Island)**, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium*, Bermuda, Bosnia and Herzegovina*****, Brazil***, Brunei, Bulgaria*, Canada**, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic*, Denmark*, El Salvador, Estonia*, Finland*, France*(including French Guyane, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Martinique, New Caledonia, RĂ©union, St Pierre and Miquelon), Germany, Greece*, Guatemala, Honduras***, Hungary*, Iceland**, Ireland*, Israel**, Italy*, Japan**, Korea (South)**, Latvia*, Liechtenstein**, Lithuania*, Luxembourg*, Macao, Macedonia*****, Malaysia, Malta*, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco***, Montenegro*****, Netherlands*, New Zealand (including the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau)**, Nicaragua, Norway*, Panama, Paraguay, Poland*, Portugal*, Romania*, Saint Christopher and Nevis, San Marino***, Serbia******, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovak Republic*, Slovenia*, Spain* (including Spanish territories in North Africa with Ceuta and Melilla), Sweden*, Switzerland**, Taiwan, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (including the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Bermuda)*****, United States of America (including Virgin Islands of the United States, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico)**, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela. Without a visa, however, citizens of the above countries may not stay longer than three months every half-year or take up gainful employment requiring a work permit. Excepted are the following.

* * Citizens of European Union member states.
* ** If required, citizens of member states of the European Economic Area and some other countries may obtain a residence and/or work permit after entry.
* *** Provided that they do not intend to enter into employment, citizens of Honduras, Monaco, San Marino may obtain any residence permit required after entry.
* ***** British Nationals (Overseas) with corresponding BN(O) passports are also exempt from the visa requirement.
* ***** The visa waiver applies only to holders of biometric passports.
* ****** The visa waiver applies only to holders of biometric passports (excluding holders of Serbian passports issued by the Serbian Coordination Directorate (in Serbian: Koordinaciona uprava)

- Holders of Travel Documents issued under the Geneva Convention of July 1951, by the following countries:
Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

- Crew members of airlines and merchant navy.

- If you hold a valid residence permit in any of the Schengen member states, you are entitled to re-enter the Schengen area without a visa on production of your proof of residence and your passport.

This information applies only to ordinary passports.

All other nationalities, not listed above need a visa and the requirements for these vary according to nationality, passport or Travel Document used, purpose and duration of the trip.

What documents will be required?
– fully completed visa application form
– two passport photographs
– valid national passport & one copy
– original of valid resident visa
– confirmation letter from your health insurance stating coverage & one copy
– proof of group travel/ hotel booking in Spain/ airline reservation for Spain & one copy
– Closed round-trip or tour ticket
– current bank statement & one copy
– reference letter from your employer/ education institution
– Document certifying the existence of commercial, industrial, or other
– visa fees for Spanish Visa.

Time required to issue a visa:
The maximum period for processing short stay (Schengen) visa applications is fifteen (15) calendar days from the date the application is submitted. This period can be extended to a maximum of 30 calendar days in specific cases, especially if a more detailed examination of the application is required. By way of exception, in specific cases in which additional documentation is required, this period can be extended to a maximum of 60 calendar days.

Visas are not granted on the spot and should be applied for well in advance in order to allow enough time to process them. The foreign national must collect his or her visa within two months of being notified that it has been granted. In the case of a resident’s, work, or student’s visa, the holder must obtain a foreign national’s identity card within one month of his or her entry into Spain.

What is the cost of a visa?
A visa fee of €60 is payable to the Consulate of Spain
This fee is non-refundable and therefore will not be refunded if the visa application is unsuccessful.
There will be no charge for children under the age of 6. There will be no charge for the spouse and/or dependants of an EU citizen. However, proof of the relationship must be submitted at the time of application. This proof must be an original EU full national passport or national ID card and an original marriage certificate or civil partnership, (birth certificate in the case of children or dependants). Photocopies are not acceptable. Non EU Certificates should be legalised according to the 1961 Hague Convention.

The purpose of the visit and/or length of stay cannot be altered once the visa has been issued. Please check carefully when collecting passports that the visas are correct, any printing errors or omissions may affect the intended stay within the Schengen area.

Holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control at the point of entry and are not guaranteed entry into any of the Schengen member countries, should they not comply with current travel regulations, even though they may hold a valid visa for these countries.

How long is the visa valid for?
Short Stay or Schengen Visas are valid for short stays (up to 90 days)

Other information:
Place of application:
The visa is requested and issued in the Spanish diplomatic missions and consular offices.

Where there is no Spanish diplomatic mission or consular office in a particular country, a transit or visitor’s visa can be requested from the diplomatic mission or consular office which represents Spain in that country.

The visa must be requested and collected in person at the diplomatic mission or consular office for the area in which the foreign national resides.

This can also be done via a duly authorized proxy in the case of a transit, visitor’s or resident’s visa for reasons of family reunification.

The required fee must be paid at the moment the visa is requested, and will not be refunded in the event the application is refused.

Any other requirements must be consulted in the diplomatic mission or consular office where the visa is requested, as they may vary according to the type of visa and the applicant’s country of origin.

Visa issue:
The foreign national must collect his or her visa within two months of being notified that it has been granted. In the case of a resident’s, work, or student’s visa, the holder must obtain a foreign national’s identity card within one month of his or her entry into Spain.

Refusal and appeals:
Whenever the diplomatic missions and consular offices decide to refuse a visa, the applicant must be always notified. However they are under no obligation to provide reasons for the refusal, except in the case of visas for family reunification or for work for third parties.

You may appeal the refusal of a visa either by means of a request for reconsideration from the same diplomatic mission or consular office with one month, or by requesting a judicial review before the Supreme Court in Madrid, within two months.

Student Visas for Spain:
This type of visa allows you to study or do research work in Spain for periods exceeding 3 months.

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to study in Spain for less than 90 days.

This visa must be obtained for studies under 3 months by all nationals that are not EU citizens or they are from the countries that require visas to travel to the Schengen countries.

The application must be submitted in person by you or through an authorized representative (it must have a notarized authorization).

Applications are not accepted by mail.

By submitting your student visa application you can also apply for the visa for your spouse and children under 18 years of age.

The visa will be affixed to your passport before you depart the United States and it must be presented at your point of entry into the Schengen countries.